Tuesday, May 22, 2018

a day at the beach at home



This was what I wore for Mother's Day this year. My mom and grandmom love the beach, but neither of them really like going anywhere for Mother's Day, especially places where there would be holiday crowds (like the beach.) So I gave them a "day at the beach at home" instead!

I started things off by giving everyone sunglasses to wear on their head (since we'd be "at the beach" indoors) and started this youtube video for a background soundtrack of beachy noises like seagulls, waves, and wind.

For decorations I got inflatable beach balls from the dollar store (and blew them up manually since I couldn't find our air pump *still coughing two weeks later*) and used them as a centerpiece. I got sand castle buckets, filled them with ice, and used them for sodas and water bottles. My brother let me borrow his collection of conch shells and we placed them all around the kitchen. And I found really cute Jersey Shore themed plates (the location, not the show, lol) at the grocery store. I couldn't find them online but these are really similar.

I made homemade fudge and candy and dressed up the kitchen counter to look like a little boardwalk candy shop! I even pretended they had to order by the pound, lol ;) For dinner my dad and brother cooked on the grill, and for dessert I got churros and funnel cakes from a nearby take-out restaurant and just heated them up in the air fryer when it was time to eat.

My favorite part of the day though was when we played games! I made my own version of the frog boardwalk game with these frogs, and giant ping pong paddles I got at the craft store. I set up three giant bowls on our coffee table in the living room at varying distances, and marked how many points you'd get depending on how far away the bowl was. Then each person got four frogs and had to try to get them into the bowls. It was SO fun, and my mom and grandmom really got into it! After that we played ring toss with pool rings from the craft store and bottles of water placed at varying distances again. When it was all over, I added up the points and everyone got to pick prizes! I got some stuffed animals at the dollar store and strung them up on the bookcase in the living room, with different animals having different point values.

We all had SO much fun, and my Grandmom even said it was the best Mother's Day ever! It might have even been more fun than a *real* day at the beach, lol!


dress - joanie | sweater - forever 21