Thursday, June 5, 2014

black sesame ice cream



Last year I tried black sesame frozen yogurt at Yogurtland and it was one of the best flavors EVER. It might seem kind of insane if you're used to chocolate and vanilla (or in my case, strawberry and coconut) but the only crazy thing about it is how good it tastes. It was unexpectedly amazing, and (hooray!) my at-home version came out just as fantastic! :D

I found a few recipes online, but they were all either too fatty or required equipment I didn't have (like a coffee grinder) so I made some adaptions, crossed my fingers, and hoped for the best. Luckily the ice cream gods were in my favor and it's pretty perfect.

I used this recipe, with the following alterations:

- 2% milk instead of whole milk
- 3 egg yolks instead of 6 egg yolks
- add 1 tsp. vanilla in step 2

I also used a food processor to grind the seeds, since I don't have a coffee grinder. I'm not sure how fine the sesame powder gets with the grinder but mine still had little bits of sesame seed that ended up making some pretty speckles in the finished ice cream. The ice cream was still incredibly rich and creamy without the added fat from the eggs and whole milk. I'd love to keep testing different ingredients to find the perfect low-fat base for all of my ice cream experiments! :)